Friday, September 08, 2006

Castle Doctrine:
The Train Keeps Rolling
Two more cases that appear to fall into the "Castle Doctrine" category occurred this week in South Carolina.

The first incident took place in Myrtle Beach when a man was robbed by two men. One of the robbers shot the victim in the thigh and big toe.

The victim responded by pulling his own gun. One of the robbers was shot and killed and the other ran away.

In the second incident a homeowner in the Columbia area was awaken early Friday morning by sounds in his driveway. Upon investigation the victim discovered two men attempting to break into his car. He challenged them and one of the thieves came towards him and tried to enter the home.

The homeowner exchanged gun shots with the attacker. Both the victim and the assailant were injured and hospitalized. The second criminal was arrested and booked.

These kinds of incidents are becoming more and more common. Although each case I've outlined here recently would have most likely been considered self-defense prior to "Castle Doctrine," the good guy would have still been arrested. Under the new law, however, in a clear case of self-defense, the victim cannot be arrested.

Yes, I know this point has been made by me several times already. But I think the most significant feature of "Castle Doctrine" is it's protection from prosecution.

The right to stand your ground, although not previously protected in the statutes, was always presumed. Making it clear with a law was needed, but protecting the good guys from prosecution and the related legal expenses is clearly the best news of all.

5 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look at picture of a lovely choo choo train. Did you see my last weeks fairly castle drawing? Next week I'll have a whinne the poo carton for everyone to enjoy.

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mentioned that the good guy cannot be arrested. Not true. Ricardo Warner was arrested for killing a homeless man that entered his porch and attacked him. He is still in jail.

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got word that Ricardo Warner has finally been released from jail. I have been praying for him and I also pray that God protect the minds of all Americans to prevent us from such foolish acts as walking up on a private property, slugging someone around and thinking nothing of what the person may do to get you off of them. God Bless America

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can be arrested for defending yourself in a car I know!North Charleston S.C. PD will arrest you!

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im from Buffalo, NY. Moved to Moncks Corner SC in 2008 to open a business. Was defrauded by a girl and her mom on a 70k property deal. Their extended family threatened me and harassed me at my doorstep for 3 years when I asked for fair resolution or Id prosecute them. Memaws son was an ex deputy with concealed carry permit. He stormed my castle, I presented to repel him. It worked. He lobbied his fraud enforcement friends including ex boss. I was arrested 6 weeks later (after refusing to pay his 50k extortion fee). In short, good guys cann be arrested by good ole boys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home